SOCIAL MEDIA

Supporting Others Through Trials

11.01.2016
To those who are wanting to offer support:

I am finally writing this after it has been on my mind for a very long time. I am sharing it in hopes that it will give good perspective to “supporters” from someone who is personally going through trial.

Few know that Tyler and I have dealt with infertility for a little more than 3 years now. We have been heart broken as our fertility treatments have not brought success or answers. The heartache is very real and very constant. Fortunately and unfortunately every test comes back normal. We are the picture of great health and they have diagnosed us with “unexplained infertility”.

As we have opened up a little more about our struggle, I have noticed a few things about the way people respond to those who are going through trials. I know I can’t speak for more than myself but I would assume most people going through difficult trials could relate.

Rarely can a response  make things better, what makes things better is connection. If somebody opens up to you and shares something personal/painful/difficult, do not help them find the silver lining. Just listen and love. Try to be less sympathetic and more empathetic. I have come up with a short list of things to consider.  

  1. An empathetic response rarely starts out with someone saying “At least”. (“At least” statements can also be implied) Do not try to talk someone into feeling better because chances are you won’t be able to. (i.e. "At least you don't have cancer")
  2. Do not minimize somebody’s trial by comparing it to someone else's. For example, if I tell you I’ve had a cold for a week, don’t tell me about your cousin that had one for two years. It does no good to compare.
  3. Do not suggest reasons a person might be going through a certain trial. Whether you are suggesting a medical diagnosis (this is a BIG one- save it for the medically trained professionals) or suggesting “life lessons” that need to be learned first, this type of response can cause more damage than good.
  4. Do not ignore it. If you know someone is struggling reach out to them. Check in with them. It is extremely difficult to reach out to others for support when you are in the midst of trial. Be there for others. Even if it means sending a text. "Hey, I'm thinking about you. I don't really know what needs to be said. I'm just glad you have opened up to me about this trial"


I hope this does not discourage anyone from wanting to show love and support to those who are struggling. Instead I hope this can allow others to feel a little more aware and sensitive when responding to delicate situations. For all the times I have been hot and bothered by somebody's inconsiderate/inappropriate response, I have equally been impressed with those that have reacted with such love and understanding.

If you or someone you know could benefit from this please share. Always feel free to comment or reach out if you ever need a friend! (For ideas of supporting those with infertility click here.)


6 comments :

  1. Danelle, I admire you for opening up about this. You are a strong, smart, beautiful woman. You've impacted my life in many ways. I hope that I can be more empathetic when people trust me with their trials. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are incredible Katie! Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! You are so kind! I sure love you!

      Delete
  2. Yes to all. I had troubles with people telling us that they were so happy God had trusted them with their new little baby, or were so happy that the baby had "chosen" them. Like those without children were not up to standard. Love to you dear sis, missing having your beautiful face around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have had very similar feelings! Like "so clearly God doesn't trust me as much?" So hard! I'm really noticing it comes in waves though! Sometimes I'm ok and sometimes I'm not... Thank you for your support! Sure love you!

      Delete
  3. I have finally been reading through each post, working my way back to find this one. I should have been commenting on each one, because they are all so beautifully written and vulnerable and insightful and wise...but time hasn't been on my side. Let me just tell you my overall thoughts.

    First, you are so beautiful! I'm not saying this to minimize your challenges in a "you should be grateful" way. You look so pretty and I love your photos, but even more, these posts reveal a beautiful soul, who is brave, compassionate and faithful. I feel so lucky to know you and learn from you!

    Thanks for making me feel more connected to and understanding of you, and less alone in my own insecurities and challenges.

    Thanks for sharing some great tools for coping too...I really need to work on mindfulness and meditation! Future YW activity?!!

    Love you, thanks for being real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle! You are so sweet! Thank you for taking the time to comment! Your words mean so much! I look up to you for so many reasons! Thank you for the love and support!

      Delete